[words, life, laughter, nonsense]

Day 23: 30 Days of Indie Travel #indie30


BootsnAll, 30 Days of Indie Travel Project 

DAY 23: TECHNOLOGY

Where would today’s travelers be without smartphones, GPS, iPods, iPads, or the internet? Share one item of tech you can’t live without or tell us how technology changed the way you travel.




Technology is so pervasive that it can be tricky in any situation these days, especially travel. It's a blessing and a curse. It's everywhere and always available, which means it's sometimes hard to step away from it fully and "be where you are."

Whether texting, emailing, blogging, or even taking too many pictures and viewing your trip through a lens instead of SEEING what's around you -- there's a fine line. 

Still, when you're separated from everything and everyone you know for long stretches of time, technology has its perks... and I'd rather think about those, than about the instances where it stung me (like the time my cell phone bill was $900 because I used it for Internet while trapped in a tiny town in the Alps). That said, my "can't live without it" tech would probably have to be Skype. Or FaceTime. Or iChat. Whatever you use, the purpose is the same. And as much as I loved having international text messaging on my cell phone, and a blog where I could unload all the adventures I was having for everyone back home to read, Skype gave me something else...

Because there's quite like being able to look you friends and family in the face when you talk to them from thousands of miles away.


Skype kept me from missing out on the Secret Santa Christmas party my friends have every year. I was in Florence, Italy, but I woke up at 3 a.m. and signed on so I could open my gift with everyone and even be in the group picture. I love how ridiculous and silly that photo is... and how sweet they were to make sure I was there even though I wasn't there.


It let me share a toast and sit down to chat with my parents on Christmas Day (and many other days during the 8 months I was gone) instead of listening to voices over a crackling line.


I met the girls for brunch on a random Saturday afternoon (Ellen, I know you embrace this)...


And most importantly, I had a regular glimpse of my husband and sweet puppy, Granger, waiting for me back home.


I see you!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice, think twice.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...